Escape and Explore: San Diego
Tucked into the lush greenery and rolling hills of Rancho Santa Fe, this hacienda-style retreat feels like a Garden of Eden, dotted with casitas and bungalow suites, whispering fountains, hand-painted tiles and terra-cotta, olive and citrus groves, bird-of-paradise, eucalyptus copses, and reflecting pools, with hot air balloons floating above at dusk. A $30 million renovation completed five years ago and five-star service ensure luxury at every turn.
• EAT Farm-to-table reigns here with healthy delicious eats, whether it’s a spa lunch of sashimi or kale salad by the pool, slow-pressed green juice post-yoga, rustic American cuisine and craft tequilas in the Pony Room bar or elegant Mediterranean-inspired plates in the restaurant Veladora, further enhanced by Damien Hirst’s butterfly artwork.
• FIT With 95 classes to choose from per week, RV is a fitness haven. Top-notch trainers, TRX classes, spin, reformer and mat Pilates, barre, power sculpt, meditation and Qi Gong are all on offer here, and the open-air Yoga Pavilion with its reflecting pool and surrounding gardens is the most exquisite place to do downward dogs in all of San Diego.
• SPA This spa wows with tiled plunge pools, hidden hot tubs, fountains and thickets of greenery, offering everything from honey-and-goji-berry facials, citrus body polishes, sexy firelit couples’ massages and divine Natura Bisse products from Barcelona.
• DON’T MISS The Wellness Collective: three-, five- and seven-day preventive programs based on the cutting-edge science of epigenetics. Intimate workshops and enlightening lectures, designed by the LifeWellness Institute of San Diego, focus on fitness, attitude, nutrition, toxicity, sleep, stress, connection, meditation and more.
Beach Village At The Del
Coronado’s iconic Hotel del Coronado has been a seaside wellness retreat since opening back in 1888, and its swanky Beach Village ushers in the modern with a private enclave of villas and cottages just steps from the sand. Peppermint-striped cabanas speckle the exclusive beach club; private chefs, personal shoppers and concierge hosts stand ready to indulge every whim; and a 1905 beach bungalow, once home to the Duchess of Windsor, welcomes Beach Village guests as the private social and dining hub.
• PROPERTY DETAILS Southern Cal’s only Relais & Château property sprawls over 45 acres with 49 guest casitas, a private three-bedroom hacienda with its own pool, and 12 villas. Guests enjoy a world-class spa and tennis program, a cabana-lined pool, alfresco and fireside dining, and a private wine cave. Rooms start at $639. ranchovalencia.com Beach Village At The Del Coronado’s iconic Hotel del Coronado has been a seaside wellness retreat since opening back in 1888, and its swanky Beach Village ushers in the modern with a private enclave of villas and cottages just steps from the sand. Peppermint-striped cabanas speckle the exclusive beach club; private chefs, personal shoppers and concierge hosts stand ready to indulge every whim; and a 1905 beach bungalow, once home to the Duchess of Windsor, welcomes Beach Village guests as the private social and dining hub.
• EAT Grab a fresh smoothie, latte or hot breakfast at the charming Windsor Cottage, or dine there by the fire pits at sunset enjoying a seafood tower of lobster, shrimp, oysters and snow crab. Savor gourmet Baja-style eats by the pool or champagne-laced afternoons in your cabana. For white tablecloth dining, head to 1500 Ocean, where chef Patrick Pontsay whips up memorable coastal cuisine.
• FIT Start the day with Beach Spin on the Paseo Lawn and keep an eye out for dolphins frolicking in the surf. Don a mermaid’s tail for an aquatic aerobics class, or salute the sun during a beach yoga session. Explore the island on a bike, stand-up paddle in the marina, or charge some waves out your front door. Burn some serious calories during a beach boot camp workout with a personal trainer.
• SPA Lounge by the infinity pool at the Del’s main spa after your “Some Like It Hot” Stone Massage — a nod to the Marilyn Monroe classic film shot at the hotel. Or indulge in an ocean pedicure or Swedish massage in the privacy of your Beach Village cabana.
• DON’T MISS A private chef experience for a romantic dinner on the sand with a custom menu, wine pairings and crafted cocktails; or a family clambake followed by s’mores and spirits under the stars with crashing waves as the soundtrack.
• PROPERTY DETAILS The 78 airy, bright cottages (one, two and three bedrooms) have ocean views, lavish comforts and thoughtful design echoing the seaside vibe. Guests can enjoy three private pools, hot tubs and high-tech cabanas. Some cottages have private plunge pools and state-of-theart full kitchens. Rooms start at $799.