Well, yes and no. The Super Bowl will be in Santa Clara in February and the 49ers aren’t even really in San Francisco anymore, but Sausalito is getting a piece of Super Bowl action this weekend.
Saturday, November 21, from noon to 5 p.m., Sausalito will be hosting “The 50 Tour: Champions of the Bay.” The event will be staged near Gabrielson Park in downtown Sausalito (corner of Humboldt and Anchor).
The 50 Tour is a mobile exhibit brought to you by the Super Bowl 50 Host Committee to celebrate the Bay Area’s championship teams – The San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders. The exhibit includes:
- Champions Row: 8 Super Bowl trophies on display (5 from the 49ers and 3 from the Raiders) with photo montages of the victories
- The Stem Zone: an interactive space showcasing how science, technology, engineering and math fuel innovation
- Super Bowl High School Honor Roll: featuring Bay Area schools that have contributed to/spawned Super Bowl heroes and history
- Play 60, Play On: an interactive play zone that includes an obstacle course and football-themed play (this sounds a tad dangerous to me, but a good way to wear out the kids)
- Autograph Sessions: with current & former NFL players (no idea who will be there, but it shouldn’t keep the groupies away)
- The Red Zone: a family –friendly space that encourages a love of reading (now THIS I like and it sounds safe!) NFL players and other local celebrities will read aloud as part of the Host Committee’s early literacy initiative — and to prove that football hunks can in fact read as well as hurdle across the goal line (Just kidding!)
I was born and raised in the Bay Area; my dad was an avid Niners fan, so by default so am I. My dad was a football star at Los Gatos High; I was one of the few six-year-old girls who knew what first and ten meant; our entire home in Palo Alto was branded with 49er paraphernalia; Bill Walsh is one of my heroes. So I may make fun of it all, but it’s great for the Bay Area to be hosting this major sporting event and great for Sausalito to be a part of it – great exposure and great for local business.