1. For three days of all things handmade, head to the American Craft Show, featuring works from more than 250 makers, jewelers, designers and more. August 3–5, Fort Mason (San Francisco).
2. The Throckmorton Youth Performers present Hairspray the Musical!, the spirited story of a spunky teen with big dreams of dancing. August 4–12, Throckmorton Theatre (Mill Valley).
3. San Francisco Aerial Dance Festival Look up. This festival’s artful and energetic gymnastics happen overhead. August 10–12, Fort Mason (San Francisco).
4. Bring the whole family to the Gravenstein Apple Fair for a weekend of live music, local food, microbrews, children’s activities and plenty of apples. August 11–12, Eagle Ranch Park (Sebastopol).
5. The Grammy-winning Rebirth Brass Band, formed in New Orleans in 1983, takes its music from the French Quarter to global festivals — and now to the Bay Area. August 30–September 1, Sweetwater Music Hall (Mill Valley).