THOSE WERE THE days. On Saturday nights, at the Marin Town and Country Club in Fairfax, couples would glide across the outdoor dance floor to bigname big band music broadcast over radio station KYA. That’s club owner Max Friedman, far right with his hand on the post, a San Francisco businessman who opened the club in April 1944. The Redwood Bowl debuted in 1946 and, with a reputation of being “well-run and disciplined,” lasted until 1972, when the entire Marin Town and Country Club closed down. Twenty-five years later, a new owner’s attempt to develop the bucolic site was defeated in a Fairfax election 2,401 to 681. Today, the lonely site sits mostly intact.