Currents

Then and Now
We know there are millions of blogs out there already (including our own staff blogs at marinmagazine.com), but local Jennifer Alvarez has hit on something different with her recently launched thejenniferdiaries.com. The blog includes Jennifer’s real-life diary entries and photos depicting growing up in Marin and Foster City, spanning the years 1978 through 1992, mixed with third-person commentary from Alvarez, now an adult, looking back at her teenage self.

Art Houses of Marin
You may start to notice miniature houses, smaller than a child’s playhouse, decorating Marin. The art pieces, by local artists, are part of the Ritter Center’s Art Houses of Marin fundraiser. The money raised from the project will help expand some of the San Rafael nonprofit services and heighten the countywide focus on eradicating homelessness in Marin. Half of the 20 art pieces will be auctioned off on eBay in May 2010; the other half will be up on the auction block at a public gala. rittercenter.org

A Year-Round Cause
Support breast cancer awareness all year long with the Pinups for Purpose calendar, which features local breast cancer survivors modeling in retro-style pinup photographs. pinupsforpurpose.com

Exploratorium’s “Over the Hill” Celebration
In November of 1969 the San Francisco Exploratorium, brainchild of Frank Oppenheimer, opened its doors to show off a few displays. Forty years later it’s throwing a huge 40th birthday celebration. Bring the family for a free weekend of Tom Noddy’s Bubble Magic or Dr. Megavolt’s high- voltage electrical jousting. exploratorium.edu

Facebook Fans Pick Their Favorites

We asked and our Facebook fans delivered. Where do you love to eat in Marin? We weren’t surprised that some of the top responses were for Joe’s Tacos in Mill Valley but we were surprised to learn about the secret off menu items like the burgers with balsamic onion reduction at Cottage Eatery in Tiburon. To read all of the comments become a fan and follow us on Twitter!

Brenda Scott: Sushi to Dai For!

Jenny Sharpe Fewell: Sol Food!

Shelly Markel O’Sullivan: Yu Shang.

Debbie Wade Carney: Central Market in Petaluma is my favorite…is that still in Marin though? Also love Marinitas!

Bethany Shady: Mama’s Royal Café, Two Bird Café, The Cottage Eatery, The Mayflower.

Tim Gilbert: The Flatiron Bar at 2nd and “B” in San Rafael is now owned by the folks who run Theresa and Johnnies on 4th street. Two of my favorite comfort food places in Marin. The pulled pork sandwich at the Flat Iron is fantastic. 

Alicia Brooke Gray: Pico, Sushi Ran, Buckey and Yu Shang Great waffle fries and cole slaw.

Kathy Lee Reed: Half Day Café.

Matt M Smith: The Garden in Ignacio. Hilda is a culinary genius! Auroras Ristorante tell Mario I sent you!

Christina Hansen: Bingo at Buckeye!!! Beef Wellie at The Pelican Inn!

Kebby Kingsbury McInroy: Sushiholic in Novato. They even serve sushi with brown rice!

Tracy Gray Macliver: Joe’s Tacos. Muy Bueno!! Hey, can someone send us some fish tacos…we live in Barrington, RI now ):

Rosie Nixon: Joe’s Tacos is the best food, service and wacky ambiance! Café del Sol has wonderful organic rice dishes and rolls;…it’s where I go if I need rejuvenating!

TJ Jacobberger: Tavern at Lark Creek. Best trout ever.

Stephanie Ziegler: Cottage Eatery. The off menu burgers with the balsamic onion reduction. For kids the mac and cheese is outrageous!

Stephanie Orma: I agree with Kathy Lee Reed—Half Day Café in Kentfield. The BEST blueberry scones ever! Obscenely good.

Erin Ireton Elliott: Insalata’s, always consistent, always delicious.

Camille Martin: D’Angelo’s and May Lee’s Chinese in Tam Valley.

Garrett Holmes: Pearl’s Phat Burger, Thep Lela and Robata. El Palmar in San Rafael. Gosh I miss Marin.

Peter K. Scott: Buckeye is always good! Great menu!

Paul Larsick: Joe’s Taco Lounge is a classic.