Get Covered Winners

Tim Horn

Born and raised in the small town of Yellow Springs, Ohio, Horn graduated in 1984 from the Cooper Union School of Art in New York City, where his focus was graphic design. He then worked at several NYC design firms before moving to San Francisco in 1992 and continued to work as a designer.

Horn began painting in 1998 and was soon hooked. He now participates in about four annual group shows and is represented by three galleries. About half his work is done on location and the rest is created in his studio. He also does commission work and teaches several workshops a year.

Horn lives in Fairfax with his wife and two young sons.

John Gowan

A native Californian who now lives and works in Marin, Gowan began painting as a teenager, fusing it with his passion for his natural surroundings. Encouraged by his high school art teacher, Gowan entered and won a congressional district arts competition that included a two-month exhibition at the Capitol in Washington, D.C. “Winning this award was the beginning for me,” Gowan says. “It opened my eyes to the possibility of professional success.”

Although his style continues to evolve, he says his motivations remain constant. “Two things propel the creation of my art,” he says, “personal habit and my love for the California wilderness.”

Judith Williams

Williams grew up in Baltimore, where she danced and performed ballet and modern jazz. After moving to San Francisco, she studied art at City College and at California College of the Arts. In 1995, she graduated from Sonoma State University with a degree in painting. Motivated by a desire to incorporate text and images, Williams was attracted to the ancient Greek technique of encaustic­, or hot wax painting.

She works with melted beeswax, pigment and resin, enabling her to paint and paste patterned collage papers at the same time.

Williams is represented by the Cecile Moochnek Gallery in Berkeley.