In the desert country of Botswana, rain is celebrated for its importance to the economy—their word for rain, pula, is even the name of the national currency. Follow the lead of the Southern African nation and try to actually enjoy this rainy season. Designers have made it easy with looks that are guaranteed to get you through the wet times.
1. Nor Easter jacket by Billabong, $149 at Proof Lab (Mill Valley). 415.380.8900, prooflab.com
2. Aerin patent leather clutch by Cole Haan, $225 at Cole Haan (SF). 415.391.1760, colehaan.com
3. Byron trench by Loro Piana, $1,925 at Loro Piana (SF). 415.593.3303, loropiana.com
4. Bay quilted bowling bag by Chloé, price available upon request at Saks Fifth Avenue (SF). 415.986.4300, saksincorporated.com
5. Snow boot by Christian Dior, price available upon request at Christian Dior (SF). 415.544.0394, dior.com
Whether it be a luxury designer umbrella or a more affordable version from a national retailer, staying dry this season is all about shedding the frumpy poncho and embracing the new fashion-forward pieces to stave off the rain.
1. Purse by Chinese Laundry, $84 at Nordstrom (SF). 415.243.8500, nordstrom.com
2. Swellies rain boots by Lily Pulitzer, price available upon request at M Clothing (Corte Madera). 415.924.8891, martymclothing.com
3. Umbrella by Paul Smith, $135 at Paul Smith. 866.900.8460, paulsmith.co.uk
4. Stripe bubble umbrella by Target, $15 at Target (Novato). 415.892.3313, target.com
5. Monogrammed umbrella, $28 at Neiman Marcus (SF). 415.362.3900, neimanmarcus.com