Recycle those rickety hand-me-down plastic chairs and live the dream; the right outdoor furniture can turn a backyard into a private paradise. Depending on your budget, pick from big-box retailers, high-end showrooms or roadside markets.
Here are some of our top picks.
1. You too can be king or queen for the day in Smith & Hawken’s Royal Hall Day Bed; pick from an array of colors including the featured item in green. Sunbed is 89” W x 46” D x 30” H and $3,199 plus an additional $999 for the cushions. Smith & Hawken (Mill Valley). 415.381.1800, smithandhawken.com
2. The Arc Chaise by Henry Hall Designs is a lounger with true versatility. The award-winning piece features a hidden storage bin and reversible cushions and can be seated upright or adopted to a flat bed. The chaise is 34.6” W x 16.5” H x 87” L and $3,300 plus an additional $1,000 for the cushions and $700 for the side cube. Dunkirk and Associates (SF). 415.863.7183, henryhalldesigns.com
3. Take a break with up to four friends in Henry Hall Design’s Cocoon Hammock, which was
inspired by the laid-back surroundings of southern France. The hammock is 81” H and $19,500. Dunkirk and Associates (SF). 415.863.7183, henryhalldesigns.com
4. Take dinner outdoors with this environmentally stable teak table-and-chair set by Ventana. The table is 48” H and $559 plus an additional $179 for the chairs. Terra Teak and Garden (Mill Valley). 415.331.1603, terrateakandgarden.com
5. If modern design dictates your outdoor style, try the Kenji table and stool, which are made of South American Ipe wood, a durable and dense material perfect for backyard use. The table is 30” H and $1,799; the stool is 15.75” H and $1,199. Marin Outdoor Living (Mill Valley). 415.924.8811, marinoutdoorliving.com