Make no mistake — it’s been a rough year. But there’s very little that comfort food can’t fix. So we reached out to our chef partners in Marin to learn about both their go-to Marin comfort food take out places and their favorite easy recipes. Below, Cafe del Soul’s Owner Chyna Kennedy Honey and General Manager Reggie Hunter share how they’ve been coping with this year’s challenges.
Navigating 2020 put us through our paces. Staying safe has been paramount so we transitioned our business to take-out and delivery. We also looked for ways to stay connected to customers while helping them feel connected to us. Our presence on social media increased, we launched our new website and now offer online ordering.
Chyna’s Go-to Comfort Food
My favorite comfort food is the Quinoa Nachos at Cafe del Soul. Whether I’m celebrating or commiserating they hit the spot by giving me the comfort I want without sacrificing the nutrients I need. It’s a bit of heaven I can take to-go or have delivered.
Comfort Food Recipe
For quick and easy comfort food at home, I love mug cake! Wonderfully simple and super versatile, once you have the base ingredients you can make a range of mug cakes. This is a simple vanilla mug cake recipe, but I sometimes add in chocolate, dried cherries, nuts or even swap out vanilla for almond extract and a little amaretto — depending on what I have in the cupboard. And all in all, it takes less than 10 minutes.
All you’ll need is a mug and a few ingredients. I’m gluten-free so this recipe reflects that, but you can easily swap out gf flour for regular all-purpose flour.
Simple Vanilla Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk (can use dairy-free options)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/8 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine ingredients in a microwaveable coffee mug. Mix with a fork until combined.
- Microwave for 1 to 1.5 minute until desired consistency is reached.
- Top with sprinkles, chocolate sauce, raspberry jam or a scoop of your favorite ice-cream.
Wearing pajama pants while eating makes mug cake even more delicious!