Last week we finally got some rain in the Bay Area, which immediately brought to mind curling up indoors with a cup of hot cocoa by the fire. The tease of cool weather also brought with it the longing for fall fashion and cozier layers. But instead of throwing on the usual plain sweater when temperatures drop, think outside of your fashion box and grab a "dressy" sweatshirt instead.
I know sweatshirts usually have a bad reputation when it comes to fashion, but I'm not talking about wearing your significant other's baggy old alma matter sweatshirt. I'm talking chic sweatshirts that can easily be paired with heels for a night out, or worn to work in a more casual workplace. The common thread is that they have unexpected details/embellishments, fancier fabrics (lace, chiffon, leather etc), and a more feminine cut. Here are 8 sweatshirts to pair with heels rather than gym shoes:
1. Pieced sweatshirt by Rebecca Taylor, $350 at Piperlime.
2. Merino wool leather-front sweatshirt, $198 at J.Crew.
3. Splatter paint sweatshirt, $255 at Rag & Bone.
4. Plaid-panel cocoon sweatshirt, $45 at Gap.
5. Patterned sweatshirt, $40 at H&M.
6. Hothouse sweatshirt by Future Vintage, $118 at Anthropologie.
7. Dipped tie & dye jumper, $575 at Stella McCartney.
8. Swallow print cotton sweatshirt by McQ Alexander McQueen, $365 at Saks Fifth Avenue.