The Best Environmental Nonprofits in Marin

The stunning natural landscape of Marin County is truly one-of-a-kind, and most here agree that it should be protected from being paved over or neglected. The 2023 readers’ choice Best of the County winner is the Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary (pictured above). For the rest of the Marin Magazine‘s Best of Marin County Environmental Nonprofit picks see below.

Our 2023 Philanthropy category sponsor is Chambers + Chambers.

We’ve broken it down by region: Southern, Central, and Western Marin.

Southern | Central | Western

Southern Marin

Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary

Tiburon

Once upon a time, Richardson Bay was headed to a life as a business area and residential marina. But concerned citizens rushed to its defense and purchased the land to create a sanctuary for birds and other water wildlife. The bay is open to everyone, so long as you don’t disturb any winter birds in hibernation.

376 Greenwood Beach Rd, Tiburon, 415.388.2524

Central Marin

Conservation Corps North Bay

San Rafael

The Conservation Corps of North Bay empower youth to transform their lives through environmental work, their internships and paid work opportunities guiding young adults into careers that benefit themselves, their communities, and the natural world around them.

27 Larkspur St, San Rafael, 415.454.4554

Friends of China Camp

San Rafael

Along the shores of San Pablo Bay lies China Camp Park, offering stunning waterfront views, meadow and oak habitats and all manner of wildlife. This state park offers volunteer opportunities, events, and field trips for those looking to learn their history while wandering through the gorgeous environment.

101 Peacock Gap Trail, San Rafael, 415.456.0766

Western Marin

Marin Agricultural Land Trust

Point Reyes

Farmland across the nation is being rapidly lost, but Marin Agricultural Land Trust is working to prevent that from happening here. This coalition of ranchers, farmers, and environmentalists has to date protected over 55,000 acres of Marin farmland and they have no intention of slowing down.

145 A St, Point Reyes Station, 415.663.1158

Sponsor

Chambers + Chambers Architects: 2023 Best of the County Philanthropy

Focused primarily on custom residential and interior design services, Chambers + Chambers is a boutique architectural practice in Mill Valley. Understated elegance, richness in color and texture and classical detailing are signature elements of Barbara Chamber’s award-winning designs.

What got you interested in philanthropy?
Giving is an expression of spiritual gratitude that makes the world a better place for everyone. I have a huge soft spot in my heart for children and so I’m compelled to give to those organizations.
Do you have a favorite charity?
Tribe Rising India is working to lift the Santal tribe out of abject poverty through education. By building the first-ever high school dedicated to Santals, they are overcoming caste prejudice and creating generational change. 
Why is it important for someone to give?
I believe our gifts are meant to be shared. When we do, we change individual lives and also impact our world.