The Best Arts Nonprofits in Marin

Marin County is an area of vibrant art across all mediums, ages, and areas, and more than a few nonprofits are dedicated to keeping the arts thriving in the county. The 2023 readers’ choice Best of the County winner is MarinArts (pictured above). For the rest of the Marin Magazine‘s Best of Marin County Arts Nonprofit picks see below.

Our 2023 Philanthropy category sponsor is Chambers + Chambers.

We’ve broken it down by region: Southern and Central Marin.

Southern | Central

Southern Marin

Headlands Center for the Arts

Sausalito

What was once a cluster of military buildings has been transformed into an environment for artistic creativity. Their residency programs provide artists with the space and time to truly dig into and explore their passions and craft.

944 Simmonds Rd, Sausalito, 415.472.9477

ICB ART

Sausalito

This collection of over a hundred Bay Area artists gather in the ICB ART to sell their work, teach fellow artists, and collaborate with the community. Their art is exhibited both locally and nationally, demonstrating the wide range of skills within the association.

480 Gate 5 Rd, Sausalito, 415.332.0730

Central Marin

Art Works Downtown

San Rafael

Firmly rooted in the heart of downtown San Rafael, Art Works Downtown is committed to having art of all kinds where the public can easily access it. They’re dedicated to promoting art education in the community and strengthening that bond between artist and city.

1325–1337 4th St, San Rafael, 415.451.8119

MarinArts

San Rafael

This arts and culture organization is constantly throwing the next best party, from author events such as book readings to a night of opera at a local theater. Kids will also love their summer camps and classes.

5800 Northgate Dr # 250, San Rafael, 415.578.3856

Marin Society of Artists

San Rafael

Since 1927, the Marin Society of Artists has been committed to promoting arts in our community. Particularly popular is their Marin Open Studios event, where artists around the county open their doors for people to view the best of their work.

1515 3rd St & E Street, 1515 3rd St, 415.454.9561

Sponsor

Chambers + Chambers Architects: 2023 Best of the County Philanthropy

Focused primarily on custom residential and interior design services, Chambers + Chambers is a boutique architectural practice in Mill Valley. Understated elegance, richness in color and texture and classical detailing are signature elements of Barbara Chamber’s award-winning designs.

What got you interested in philanthropy?
Giving is an expression of spiritual gratitude that makes the world a better place for everyone. I have a huge soft spot in my heart for children and so I’m compelled to give to those organizations.
Do you have a favorite charity?
Tribe Rising India is working to lift the Santal tribe out of abject poverty through education. By building the first-ever high school dedicated to Santals, they are overcoming caste prejudice and creating generational change. 
Why is it important for someone to give?
I believe our gifts are meant to be shared. When we do, we change individual lives and also impact our world.