The Marin Community Foundation Names Philanthropic, Environmental and Public Policy Veteran Rhea Suh as President and CEO

The Marin Community Foundation (MCF) Board of Directors has announced the appointment of Rhea Suh as president and CEO. Previously, Suh served as president of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC); assistant secretary for policy, management and budget at the U.S. Department of the Interior; and at the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, among other high-impact roles — bringing philanthropic, environmental and public policy experience to her leadership position at MCF. 

Suh’s appointment comes after the retirement last year of former president and CEO Dr. Tom Peters, who spent more than 22 years at the helm of MCF, prompting the board to embark on an extensive nationwide search for his replacement. “The range of her experience and the depth of her expertise mean that Rhea’s leadership is sure to herald an exciting new phase of evolution for the foundation,” says MCF board chair Mark Buell.

As one of the largest community foundations in the country, MCF partners with more than 500 individuals and families in their philanthropic endeavors — locally, across the U.S. and around the world. “I feel an enormous sense of privilege in being appointed to this position,” says Suh. “MCF is regarded as a leader in the field, with an influence that extends across the country, and I believe that my diverse experience and skill set can extend that influence to make an even greater impact in the community.” 

More from Marin:

Lotus AbramsLotus Abrams has covered everything from beauty to business to tech in her editorial career, but it might be writing about her native Bay Area that inspires her most. She lives with her husband and two daughters in the San Francisco Peninsula, where they enjoy spending time outdoors at the area’s many open spaces protected and preserved by her favorite local nonprofit, the Peninsula Open Space Trust.