4 Marin Family Photographers Share Their Experience, Tips and Tricks

Local photographers on capturing life’s special moments.

Torrey Fox

Torrey Fox

Are you based in Marin?

Yes, I am a Marin-based, born and raised here — a third generation Marinite! I now live in Larkspur with my husband, who is also a photographer, and our two girls. 

How did you originally get into photography?

As a kid, I loved images. I would spend hours going through my mom’s Martha Stewart Living and Victoria home magazines, tearing out photos and creating endless scrapbooks. I was also obsessed with my own family photos and would continually go through the boxes of 35mm prints my parents had taken. My first time with a camera was playing around with my parents’ Canon in our backyard. I loved taking photos of my mom’s rose garden. In high school I took my first photography class, then majored in studio art with an emphasis in photography at Dominican University in San Rafael. 

How long have you been shooting professionally?

I have been shooting professionally for more than a decade. I started right around the time I was graduating college in 2012, when I met my now-husband who was studying photography in San Francisco. I shot my first weddings with him and even though we both have our own businesses today, we still always shoot weddings together. 

Torrey Fox

Tips for calming grumpy toddlers?

The secret to exceptional family photography is embracing your children as they are. I love that little ones have energy! I lean into that during the sessions, so I ask my clients to be prepared to play, tickle, chase and snuggle. With toddlers, we really let them lead the way and guide us through the session. The beauty of photographing young children is that they are incredibly candid which results in such fun and vibrant photos.

Tips for relaxing anxious family members of all ages?

I love to tell clients during their session that there is no rush, no expectation, no right or wrong and there is nothing we have to be doing. Each person is unique and I want to capture that for their family. I can guarantee we’ll get amazing photos if you relax into the moment and just let your kids be themselves. 

Biggest challenges of your job?

Pinterest! There are so many different photos and styles on there that some clients can get distracted by wanting it all. I love when clients trust me to create the photographs that I am known for — that is when I create my best work.

What makes it all worthwhile?

Loving what you do! I absolutely love photography, it is not about the job, it is not about success or money or bookings. It is about creating images that I am proud of, and proud to put my name on. I think of myself as an artist first and a businesswoman after. 

Torrey Fox

Your dream shoot?

I definitely dream of traveling more for work in the coming years. I would love to capture my clients in special places that have meaning to them. Top of my travel photo list would be London, Paris, Charleston, Montana — the list goes on.

Tumay Aslay

Tumay Aslay

Are you based in Marin/a Marin native?

I am originally from Istanbul, but have lived in the Bay Area since I was 16 years old. I shoot all over Marin, San Francisco and surrounding areas. 

My first major in college was early childhood development and I worked as a professional nanny for over 17 years after that. When I graduated from art school later in my life with a photography degree I decided to merge two of my biggest passions, and that’s how Tiny Forest Photography was born. I solely focus on portraits of newborns, babies, children and their interactions with their parents. I believe that my background in child care allows me to have a unique perspective into my subjects and that translates into my photographs. 

I have been professionally shooting for 13 years, but my passion for photography has been there since I was a child.

Tumay Aslay

I honestly can’t say I have any magic tips to calm a grumpy toddler. Every child is so unique and they all have their own reason to be grumpy that day — just like us adults at times! I try to get down to their level, engage with them and try to feel them out as much as I can during the shoot. Some want you to play with them and some need some space. I think the key to a successful shoot is to not try so hard. If I just let them be, that’s when I get the best of them. 

One of my clients once told me that I was very disarming during our session. I think letting my own guard down and being myself around my subjects has them doing the same. Also, time! I don’t hold mini sessions because 20 minutes is just not enough time for people to get relaxed and start to have fun. Plus, I also need more time to get to know them.

I’d say how unpredictable the weather and fog can be in the Bay Area. I just never really know how the lighting is going to be during my sessions till the day of. I have clients who look forward to shooting during golden hour or who want to have the Golden Gate Bridge as their backdrop, but the weather doesn’t always work in our favor. 

The feedback I get from my clients once they see their photos is magic. I love my job because I love my clients. I get to walk into so many incredible people’s homes during such intimate times in their lives and create such deep connections. Knowing that the images I capture will be cherished for generations to come make it all worthwhile.

Tumay Aslay

Your dream shoot?

I love to travel and I am an adventure gal so I think traveling the world while creating my art would be the dream.

Ashlee Burton

Ashlee Burton

I am. I was born and raised in Marin, but haven’t always lived here. I came back once we started our family.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a camera in my hands; whether it was a disposable camera, a film camera, a small point and shoot, etc. I loved the return ticket photos instantly when I looked at them. When I was little, I loved photos so much that instead of carting around a stuffed animal, I would bring my mini photo albums with me when I traveled. It was my way of keeping my most favorite people and memories close by.

After I graduated college, I had big plans to work in developing countries, so I wanted to get my masters in nursing. However, being an impacted field at that time, I knew I needed to set myself apart in the application process. I came up with the idea of learning Mandarin — in China. I asked my then-boyfriend (now-husband) if he’d be up for moving to China with me to teach English. He thought I was joking, but he was up for it! We sold mostly everything, packed up our lives, and left for our adventure in Hangzhou, China. We enjoyed the experience so much, we stayed an extra year and moved to Shanghai to study Mandarin. While I was there, I brought my camera with me everywhere; it became an extension of me. I became so taken with documenting our lives there that I decided to start a blog to show our family and friends what life was like for us in China. By the time I returned home to the States in 2012, friends were asking me to take their maternity photos, family photos, newborn photos, etc. Before I knew it, I was able to quit my nine-to-five job and let my photography business take over.

This is my 10th year of business.

Ashlee Burton

In my experience, I have learned to try and make the session fun for the kids. There is nothing better than a light, easygoing session and it’s so much more enjoyable for everyone. I think if you can be a little silly with the kids it encourages connection which ultimately helps them to see you as someone other than a photographer with an intimidating camera between you guys. As a result they’re more likely to step out from behind their parents. It’s a win-win! 

However, it’s important to note that it doesn’t always pan out that way. Some babies have just woken up from their naps and need space and time to warm up. And they usually do! But it’s also possible to capture the scowls they might give or their running away. 

For me, as a mom, the photos I cherish the most are the ones where my boys’ real personalities come through, not necessarily the ones where everyone is smiling and looking at the camera. You’ll get those photos at a later time in life, when they’re able to keep their bodies still and can follow directions more easily. I usually remind the parents to stay close and to connect with their child whether that’s an embrace, reaching for their hand, a gentle kiss on their temple, etc. and if the kids aren’t having it, let them run around and be themselves. I’ll do the chasing.

Family members usually approach me at the start of a session and tell me, “I’m so bad at taking photos. You’re going to have to direct us.” And while I’m happy to initially help with prompts (they don’t end up needing the prompts later), I mostly encourage the family to completely ignore me and instead focus on each other. This helps them to not only relax, but it provides emotion, and with emotion comes authenticity — the real moments, the money shots. Additionally, movement is crucial for photo subjects to be less self-conscious. I usually suggest the family (or group) walk or run to a certain area, do “ring around the rosie,” anything really to help move the focus off the camera and onto each other. It might feel silly for them at that moment but as long as you, the photographer, keep shooting, I promise you, there’s always an “in-between” shot in there that is solid gold.

The hardest part for me is trying to find time to edit. With my own young family, I struggle to find chunks of time to sit down and get sessions completed. I’m hopeful that as my young boys grow, I’ll have more time to delve back into my career even more.

The people I have met from my sessions. The families I have gotten to know. Seeing some families year after year and being totally taken aback by how much the kids have grown. The absolute best part for me is the connection I feel fortunate enough to make with my clients. 

Additionally, I think that this is one of the few times in the year in which the whole family is together for photos and I get the honor and opportunity to give them that return ticket to this memory, a memory that not only the parents will cherish but as their kids grow, they too will come to greatly appreciate.

Ashlee Burton

Your dream shoot?

Besides photography, my other passion in life is to travel and experience different cultures. The idea of blending both of my affinities would without a doubt be my dream shoot. I would love to travel to other countries and capture families there with new locations as the backdrop. I am so inspired by the world and all the differences there are as well as the similarities we share.

Cameron Cressman

Cameron Cressman

Yes. I was born and raised in Mill Valley in the ‘90s, attended all public schools and got my degree from UCLA in 2013. Shortly after receiving my degree I moved to San Francisco to start my professional corporate career, which then led me back to Mill Valley as I started my very extensive full-time job as a Professional Mother. Photography was the natural progression of what job best suited my passions, all while caring for my children. 

Like most, I started taking photos on my iPhone as a hobby and was encouraged to take a step even further by family members. I was gifted a mid-level Nikon Camera from Mike’s Camera and when I was going through a divorce it was the only tool I had that was entirely mine and could not be taken away. I was a new mom who had just become a new mom and a single mom and all I had was my 6-month old baby and my camera. To put it simply, a million fire trucks could not extinguish the roaring flames of drive and motivation that was inside of me as a mother. A dark experience turned into a true catalyst and was the biggest blessing. Three weeks later, the Mill Valley studio opened its doors and the first customer standing outside the glass window was my son Harry. I will never forget that day. And as luck would have it, 6 months later, my future husband Buzzy came in for a shoot. 

4 years hobby-ing and 3 years professionally. 

Cameron Cressman

First word “candy,” second word “bar.” 

Everyone is anxious. Parents, kids, grandparents and even dogs. And most importantly, everyone has the same exact reaction to images of themselves. No one is unique in their reaction. I’ve photographed thousands of families and for me the magic happens between the raw image taken during the photoshoot and the post production editing process. For my client base, that is actually the service that people are paying for. 

Timing. People are so ready to see their photos after a shoot which is understandable. For me there is a methodical process between my assistant’s role as photo picker and me needing to “clear my brain” on my specific edits. I would love to immediately turn in images and sometimes I can but it reduces the professionalism of the product. 

Photography is a very intimate and vulnerable activity between a photographer and their subject(s). To be trusted as that special person to be around your family is an honor. Being able to connect with families all over Marin on an intimate and vulnerable level has caused immediate friendships for me all over Marin County. It is almost a constant job of heart opening. Helping someone feel good about their spirit and soul all while helping them feel good about themselves and how they look on camera. It is a delicate space that I am honored to work in. When clients need extra hand holding leading up to our shoot I like to remind them that a photography session with me is just like hanging out with me and I happen to have a camera that day. 

Cameron Cressman

Your dream shoot? 

A very styled creative and somewhat wacky family shoot inside my studio where I can control lighting, provide different props and really curate the scene that I am trying to create.

ine having a store in New York or the Hamptons?’ And look, we did it! It’s kind of wonderful and crazy good, don’t you think?”

Lotus Abrams

Lotus Abrams has covered everything from beauty to business to tech in her editorial career, but it might be writing about her native Bay Area that inspires her most. She lives with her husband and two daughters in the San Francisco Peninsula, where they enjoy spending time outdoors at the area’s many open spaces protected and preserved by her favorite local nonprofit, the Peninsula Open Space Trust.