This month, Managing Editor Dan Jewett decided to step into the kitchen and test our November recipe for what is arguably one of the healthiest steaks around, Sam's Social Club’s Cauliflower Steak. Here are some tips he uncovered.
• Everything you need you can find in most quality markets.
• Be sure to make a good list before you head to the store — there are a lot of ingredients.
• For the fermented chile, he recommends Mother In Law’s Fermented Chile Sauce (sesame) which can be found at Whole Foods.
• The finished sauces are fantastic and you will have extra. They are great with almost anything, so be sure to save them.
• Deep frying an entire head of cauliflower can be hard for the home chef. Dan suggests breaking up the head into florets and roasting in a pan with olive oil for about 15 minutes on high heat.
• The dish takes a little while to make, try playing some good music as you work. He recommends The Colour of Spring by Talk Talk.
Recipe: Cauliflower Steak
1¼ cups cashews
1 bunch scallions
3½ whole peeled shallots
1½ cloves garlic
½ cup tahini
¼ cup sherry vinegar
1⅓ cups water
⅘ cup fermented chile
1 Meyer lemon, zested and juiced
½ cup canola oil
½ tablespoon salt
Cracked black pepper, to taste
Handful of chopped oil-cured olives
1 small tomato, diced
Handful of chopped parsley
Handful of puffed farro
½ head organic cauliflower
Espelette chile powder, to taste
Kosher salt to taste
Handful of fresh dill to taste
For Charred Cashew Puree
1 Soak cashews in water overnight.
2 Char scallions, jalapeño, 2 shallots and 1 clove of garlic.
3 Combine cashews, scallions, jalapeno, tahini, sherry vinegar, water, shallots and garlic, and blend until you have a smooth puree.
For Hot Pepper Vinaigrette
1 Microplane ½ clove of garlic.
2 Mince 1½ whole shallots.
3 Combine fermented chile, Meyer lemon, canola oil, salt, cracked pepper, microplaned garlic and minced shallots and mix well.
1 Combine olives, tomato, parsley and puffed farro and mix well.
1 Deep-fry cauliflower at 350°F until brown and crunchy.
2 Remove from oil, pat dry with paper towel, and season with Espelette chile powder and kosher salt.
1 Warm plate. 2 Add a big smear of warm cashew puree across the plate. 3 Place the half-head of cauliflower in the center of plate. 4 Add a spoonful of the garnish to both sides of the cauliflower. 5 Top cauliflower with a couple spoonfuls of hot pepper vinaigrette and dill.