I'm always excited by fresh talent in the fashion world, and therefore always excited to attend the Academy of Art University 2014 Graduate Fashion Show and awards ceremony. This year the featured honorees were Angela Missoni, Margherita Maccapani Missoni, and Rosita Missoni –– all three generations of women from the Italian fashion house, Missoni. Angela and Margherita received Honorary Doctorate degrees, Margherita tearing up during her acceptance speech, acknowledging her grandmother Rosita, (who had previously been awarded an Honorary Doctorate in 1999), for the creation and longevity of Missoni.
Whether it was the draw of the Missoni name or the promise of an always-spectacular show, San Francisco's fashion elite showed up in full force, with many only able to find standing room at the top of the bleachers. With a Missoni internship on the line and various other internships, job opportunities and scholarships up for grabs, the competition was fierce. Some standouts from the show were (in order of appearance):
• Kika Knaup (BFA Knitwear) – all white textured knitwear with ethereal flowing skirts and layers
• Iris Jin (BFA Fashion Design) – crisp and layered neutral metallics with structured cropped jackets
• Jordan Rae Epstein (BFA Childrenswear Design) and Sheni Moshabesha (BFA Textile Design) – adorable urban children’s fashions with explosions of prints and bright colors
• Leo Lee (BFA Fashion Design) – muted simple shift dresses with graphic stud placement
• Nicole Bell (BFA Fashion Design) and Holly Hapka (BFA Textile Design) – my personal favorite; beautiful mixed prints of florals and birds used in innovative silhouettes
• Taylor Carr (BFA Fashion Design) – sequined pastel suits and dresses
• Yuko Okudaira (BFA Fashion Design) – winner of the Missoni internship; playful fringe with a neon graffiti-esque effect
• Jenny Hien Hoang (BFA Fashion Design) – avant garde black and white tie-dyed garments with lots of structure and great craftsmanship
Congrats to all of the 2014 graduates, I'm sure we will be seeing your work on many more runways in the future!
Check out this video of the last walk, filmed by Fashion Editor Veronica Sooley