The Best Disability Care Services in Marin

For those with a disability or who have a family member with one, you’re probably going to need more assistance than you might think. Fortunately, there are places throughout the county that can help. The 2023 readers’ choice Best of the County winner is Lifehouse Agency (pictured above). For the rest of the Marin Magazine‘s Best of Marin County Disability Care picks see below.

Our 2023 Philanthropy category sponsor is Chambers + Chambers.

We’ve broken it down by region: Central and Western Marin.

CentralWestern

Central Marin

Cedars

San Anselmo

When Cedars first opened in 1919, it was one of the first residential schools that worked to provide a community-based home for those with developmental disabilities. Over a hundred years later, Cedars is still thriving and so are those that live in its community.

2 Kensington Road, San Anselmo, 415.454.5310​

Lifehouse Agency

San Rafael

Lifehouse’s mission statement is to help those with developmental disabilities by providing technology centers, housing advocacy, teen programs, and above all else, much needed compassionate support.

18 Professional Center Parkway, San Rafael, 415.526.5300

Schurig Center for Brain Injury Recovery

Larkspur

After suffering from the effects of a brain injury, Schurig Center is here to pick up where the traditional healthcare system leaves off. From rehabilitation to education to something as simple as ensuring no one feels alone, Schurig Center provides whatever is needed.

1132 Magnolia Ave, Larkspur, 415.461.6771

Western Marin

Halleck Creek Ranch

Nicasio

This rustic horse ranch is so much more than just a place to ride. From bridle to saddle, the benefits of horse therapy are not to be underestimated, be that from the muscle gained through riding to the self-esteem gained from safely handling and befriending a large animal.

1740 Old Rancheria Rd, Nicasio, 415.662.2488

Sponsor

Chambers + Chambers Architects: 2023 Best of the County Philanthropy

Focused primarily on custom residential and interior design services, Chambers + Chambers is a boutique architectural practice in Mill Valley. Understated elegance, richness in color and texture and classical detailing are signature elements of Barbara Chamber’s award-winning designs.

What got you interested in philanthropy?
Giving is an expression of spiritual gratitude that makes the world a better place for everyone. I have a huge soft spot in my heart for children and so I’m compelled to give to those organizations.
Do you have a favorite charity?
Tribe Rising India is working to lift the Santal tribe out of abject poverty through education. By building the first-ever high school dedicated to Santals, they are overcoming caste prejudice and creating generational change. 
Why is it important for someone to give?
I believe our gifts are meant to be shared. When we do, we change individual lives and also impact our world.