Hunter Pence Goes to Bat for the Planet

Hunter Pence, Healthy Planet Project

Hey Marin, Hunter Pence is stepping up to the plate again. Only, this time at bat, he’s making a play to help the environment with his new nonprofit foundation, Healthy Planet Project. The organization has already held community events to clean up the Bay and San Francisco, plant trees and educate people about creating a healthier environment — now it’s coming to Marin.

After his retirement in 2020, Pence knew that helping preserve and protect the environment was going to be part of the next chapter of his life and career, and founded the Healthy Planet Project with his wife, Alexis. 

A nonprofit philanthropic organization, Healthy Planet Project is a platform for launching environmental clean-up events, highlighting climate change, education, sustainability awareness and championing nature preservation. The foundation has partnered with community organizations such as San Francisco Baykeeper, Friends of the Urban Forest, San Francisco Recreations & Parks and corporate partners like JuneShine, Rakuten and 1% for the Planet.

“I love being outdoors and enjoying nature, so naturally, I care deeply about our environment and I am passionate about giving back to San Francisco, the city that I am fortunate to call home,” says Pence. “Healthy Planet Project is designed to bring the San Francisco community together to participate in meaningful projects that will contribute to reducing and preventing pollution. I am excited to host opportunities for people, businesses and organizations to work towards a healthier, more resilient Bay Area, one step at a time.”

Healthy Planet Project has already hosted an Earth Day clean up and an Arbor Day Plant & Play event this year. Now Pence wants to bring his noble environmental endeavors to Marin. 

“Marin has beautiful beaches, incredibly diverse ecosystems and micro climates, scenic hills and vistas and just tons of options for fun outdoor sports and activities,” he says. “And, we know Marin residents are passionate about environmental issues and preserving all of Marin’s natural beauty. So, we’re really looking forward to bringing the Healthy Planet Project across the Bridge and gathering people together to do more to sustain Marin’s outdoor spaces and protect the planet.”

Three areas Health Planet Project events will focus on are working for a cleaner and healthier Bay, planting trees, youth educational activities and programs and helping create cleaner public spaces and parks. On top of helping the environment and giving community organizations more exposure, Healthy Planet Project is prepared to offer grants to nonprofit partners.

“We want to partner with community organizations and Marin businesses to further protect and preserve the wonderful outdoor areas so many people cherish and enjoy in Marin,” says Hunter. “Launching in Marin is going to be a great step for our organization and for Marin communities.”

Keep an eye out for upcoming Healthy Planet Project events in Marin. If you’d like to donate or are interested in partnering with Healthy Planet Project, visit their website.

richard wright

Richard Wright is a writer from Marin whose work has appeared in San Francisco Magazine, SOMA, 944, The Olympian and numerous online publications. He has an MFA from St. Mary’s College of California in creative writing and lives in Sausalito with his wife, Stephanie.